What Individuals & Communities Can Do to Prevent Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault/Abuse:
ANYONE CAN BE A VICTIM!---Call the police if you see/hear evidence of domestic violence or sexual assault.
Learn about domestic violence and sexual assault, and DECIDE TO:
Speak out, publicly, against domestic violence
and sexual assault!
Help others become informed by inviting a speaker to your church, professional organization, civic group, or workplace
Take action personally against domestic violence/sexual assault when a neighbor, a co-worker, a friend, or a family member is involved or being abused. Let them know you believe their story.
Express your support to someone whom you believe is a victim of domestic violence/sexual assault
Contribute your time, resources or money to support New Day Shelter.
OR use Good Search or GoodShop right now, online!
Form coordinating councils or tasks forces to assess the problem, develop and action plan, and monitor progress.
Mandate training in domestic violence/sexual
assault for all social services and criminal justice professionals.
Advocate for laws and judicial procedures at the state and local levels that support and protect battered women
and sexual assault victims.
Fund shelters adequately.
medical protocols to help physicians and other health care professionals
identify and help victims of domestic abuse/sexual
education and awareness efforts to increase positive attitudes towards
non-violence and encourage individuals to report family violence
or sexual assault.
Adapted from: "Preventing Violence Against Women: Not Just a Women's
Issue," the National Crime Prevention Council, 1995.)
Helping Victims of Family & Sexual Violence: How YOU Can Partner With New Day Shelter
· Make a cash donation – We count on the community for 23% of our annual budget (63% comes from government grants, and 14% from private foundations)
· Dine at Deepwater Grille or Breakwater Café restaurants in Ashland – Through their VIP Program, you can donate to New Day Shelter. Ask them for details.
· Donate your recycling profit to New Day Shelter when you bring your aluminum cans to Chicago Iron by asking them to credit the Shelter’s account.
· Donate every time you search the internet by using Yahoo’s www.GoodSearch.com search engine. Enter “New Day Shelter” as the charity you want to support. GoodSearch donates half its advertising revenue, about a penny per search, to the charities its users designate.
· Donate when you shop online by using the www.GoodShop.com shopping mall, which donates up to 37% of each purchase to your favorite charity. Hundreds of great stores are linked to GoodShop, including Amazon, Target, and Best Buy.
· Request to receive written communications from New Day Shelter via e-mail–help save postage costs and trees. Please send your e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Make a bequest to the New Day Shelter Endowment Fund to strengthen New Day Shelter’s future financial security. This may reduce your own estate taxes as well as your current taxes. Ask your tax advisor for details.
· Make quilts for New Day Shelter resident clients. Everyone who comes into shelter is gifted with the warmth and love of a handmade quilt from the community.
· Donate supplies or Volunteer – Join “Friends of New Day Shelter” to help with mass mailings, fundraising (selling raffle tickets, making telephone calls), etc.